Skip to navigation | Skip to main content

Apply for your studies

Join the growing number of international students who have made the choice to learn and live in B.C.

Choose a school or institution

What do you want to study?

Kindergarten to Grade 12 programs

Children can enrol in Kindergarten to Grade 12 programs at various public or independent elementary and secondary schools in B.C. Depending on your length of stay, there are many different types of learning opportunities available that lead to high school graduation.

Because public schools and programs are organized into districts, you will need to visit public school district websites to find the right program for you. Or you can contact an independent school directly to enrol in one of their programs.

Post-secondary programs

B.C's post-secondary institutions offer everything from short-term courses to four-year degree programs including:

  • English as a second language
  • Career/trades/vocational programs
  • Technologies and technical programs
  • Degree programs
  • Graduate programs at the Masters and Ph D levels

EducationPlannerBC provides detailed program information about post-secondary programs available in B.C. universities, colleges and institutes. Use this website to:

  • search programs by interest, subject and institution;
  • plan for learning and employment;
  • confirm your program planning options; and
  • save and share what you have found.

Where do you want to study?

B.C. offers world-class education choices all around the province.

B.C. is taking steps to ensure we are among the world's leading trades training jurisdictions - with the right mix and quality of trades and technical programs in relation to industry demand.

In B.C. there are many opportunities for you to pursue a diploma or certificate in trades. Many institutions have staff dedicated to working with international students. If you are interested, please contact those departments for assistance.

Back to top

Evaluate your international qualifications

Many international students who come to study and work in Canada are highly educated. Institutions need to know whether or not your credentials meet their admission or transfer credit requirements. It will take at least four weeks to complete an evaluation of your credentials.

For information on evaluating your international qualifications, visit the following resources:

Back to top

Submit your school application

Each school and institution will have different admissions requirements. The quickest way to apply is by contacting the international education office of the school you want to attend. They can advise you on admissions requirements, programs, housing, health-care insurance and orientation.

  • Find the elementary or secondary school you wish to apply to.
  • EducationPlannerBC is an online service that will help you apply to up to four public post-secondary institutions.

Once you have applied and been accepted to the school or institution of your choice you will receive an acceptance letter. You will need this letter to apply for a study permit .

If you have applied to more than one institution you may receive more than one acceptance letter, in this case it is up to you to decide which institution to attend.

Back to top

Apply for a study permit

In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada. Before applying for a study permit, determine your eligibility to study in Canada.

Choose the situation that applies to you for more information:

Apply from outside Canada

Apply online

You can apply online from outside Canada if:

  • you are over the age of sixteen;
  • you have no accompanying family members;
  • you live in and are a citizen of the following countries: Australia, Barbados, Denmark, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Sweden and USA; and
  • your field of study does not require a medical examination (check your institution for details).

Before you apply, make sure you have all the required documents and are prepared to pay the processing fee .

Paper application

If you can't apply online, you can submit a paper application.

  1. Download and print the application package .
  2. Collect all the required documents .
  3. Pay the processing fee .
  4. Submit your application to a visa office .

Depending on what country you are from you may be required to have a temporary resident visa . The visa office will process your application for a temporary resident visa at the same time as your study permit application.

Outside Canada Study Permit Application

Apply from within Canada

Apply online

  1. Determine if you are eligible for a study permit.
  2. Collect all required documents .
  3. Pay the non-refundable processing fee.
  4. Register for or log into your MyCIC account .

Paper application

If you can't apply online, you can complete and mail a paper application .

Within Canada Study Permit Application

Renew or extend your study permit

Please make sure to renew your permit at least 30 days before your permit expires. If your permit expires before you are approved for extension you can continue to study in B.C. until you receive a decision.

To extend your stay in B.C. as a student you must complete the appropriate forms . You cannot extend your study permit beyond the expiry date of your passport.

If your study permit has expired, and you have not applied for an extension, you will be required to leave Canada. In some cases you may be able to apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing your study permit.

For more information on restoring your status please visit .

Last updated: Jan 17, 2019